Sunday, September 10, 2017

Snapchat in the Classroom


Many of you know this about me... but I just got my first phone.  I went to the store in March and said, "I would like to buy a phone." 

The sales person said, "Great, what phone would you like to trade in?" 

I said, "No, It's my first phone."

Pause

"Oh" he said, "You have been sharing with your husband?"

"No, It's our first phone." 

The man was so confused. Eventually, we were able to help him understand that people still survive without a phone... I was a little sad that day to join the rest of the world... I have loved being phone free, but I know my kids will have a phone sooner than later. So my job as a parent is to learn the proper use of a phone and model that for them.

Well, it turns out I use this tool all the time for school.  I mean ALL the time.  One of the latest tools that I have started to play with is Snapchat. What a hoot.  I do not want to use it socially... I'm not snapping (is that what it's called?) my friends.  I am recording and downloading to share a message with my students. I have been very inspired by GREAT educators such as Kari Haan, Holly Bess Kincaid, and Abby Schukei. Both have used Snapchat for instruction for their students.

Here is how I did it... of course... there might be other ways, but this works for me.

First I record my videos in short clips. Traditionally snaps are 10 seconds or shorter.  Recently, Snapchat allows you to record longer videos by recording into a new video. I like the idea of 10-second clips, so that is still what I'm using. It forces me to be concise and to the point. My overall videos are right around 1 minute... that is perfect for most of my students to get a tiny bit of information.

I record a video horizontally.  It appears that the video will turn out sideways, but when it's downloaded, it is the correct orientation.


I choose a filter. The filters are the things that change your face. Some of these filters are only intended for vertical use, but I have found most to work horizontally.

I record, and then download... you will be able to save at the bottom of you snap... it goes into your 'story' (that no one sees because I don't have any 'friends' on Snapchat but it also downloads to my camera roll.


Now, I go into iMovie (my favorite app on my phone) and quickly bring in the clips I recorded.


I double check the order and edit if needed then upload my new movie to Youtube. 


So far there has been an overwhelmingly positive response from students. My K's are mesmerized, my 6th graders are completely entertained.

Here are some ways that I have used the Snapchat videos thus far

Introduction to a concept or project


Celebration of my students


Even a little mindful, deep breathing


1 comment: